Saturday, January 25, 2014

Once Upon a Doll Meet...

Hello everyone! It's Willow!

             Since this blog is so new, we have a lot to catch everyone up on! Today I thought I'd share with you the doll meet we went to in December. Honey and I went with a friend from church, and it was tons of fun!

              This was a BJD meet, so why don't I go over what a BJD is. These dolls are made in Asia, out of a material called resin. Each of them are like individual works of art, so they are very expensive, usually selling from 300$ and up. Needless, to say, I won't be getting one anytime soon. BJD stands for Ball-Jointed-Doll. They sell them in a variety of sizes, as you can see here:
You've also probably noticed there were A LOT of dolls. Another thing about BJDs is that they don't always come finished. Oftentimes, they don't have any clothes, or need a face-up (paint on their face). Honey and I were feeling a bit out of place, but we did recognize some things (mostly other brands that we'd seen on Doll Diaries) such as these Monster high dolls:
And these Ever After High dolls:
Doll Diaries also sometimes features Pullips in their Picks of the Week post. They were having a raffle for one.
Here she is! Notice the signs next to her.

Honey and I thought we were the only American Girl lovers there. Then we met Laynie!
She saw our dolls, and went and got hers! A 2007-2009 Felicity!
The host of the party also brought her Pleasant Company Samantha! How Cool, right? They had a photo booth in one of the rooms, so we took advantage of that while everyone else was busy and had a photo shoot!
"Wow McKenna, who's that girl in the cute vest?" Marie-Grace asked.
"I think that's Felicity. We should say hello!" McKenna replied.
"Hello, Felicity!" Marie-Grace said.
"Hi!" Felicity answered. "Do you guys want to go over to that chair?"
Marie-Grace went right over and plopped her self in the chair. "It's perfect!" she said.
"You have to share!" McKenna said. "Be nice to our new friend."
"Okay, but let me have a few pics first!"
"Fine!"

After A few pictures, Marie-Grace relinquished the chair.
Felicity took her turn.



Then it was time for group shots.

Marie-Grace and Felicity both took some great solo shots. "I'm the queen!" Marie-Grace sung.
Suddenly they heard a little voice from behind them. While they were talking, a teeny little girl had gotten in to the chair.
 "Who is that!" Gasped Marie-Grace.
"I dunno..." said McKenna
"I'm Fable!" said the little girl.
"She's my BJD sister." said Felicity.
"Can I have a picture with my big sister?" Fable asked.

Marie-Grace and McKenna agreed. How could they refuse such an adorable face?

With this last picture, you can get a pretty good sense of proportion and size with this type of BJD. After the photo shoot, Laynie bought Fable a new wig.
I love the colors on it! We had another little photo shoot, this one was fable sized.
 This is her with a little mini lalaloopsie, for size comparison.
 Here's a better view of her face.
 She is standing up on her own here. I don't know about all BJDs, but this one seemed to have a pretty great balance to her. He weight is well distributed through her body. Her dozen or so joints help too.
She hung a candy cane on the tree.
This is the little boy BJD our friend from church brought. The cat ears are held on by magnets.
The little japanese inspired doll in the center of this pic was Honey's and my personal fave from the main doll table. She isn't a BJD but her eyes and outfit are SOOO cute!
These two were lounging by the lamp. The one on the right ate WAY too many gingerbread MnMs. (I may have too, but they were really fantastic!)
Here's the final count of Vinyl play dolls! 5 woohoo! (the one on the far left is a my twinn)
Here's the view from on the way out. That was a fun yet exhausting day!

What really struck me about this was the awesome discussions that we had with Laynie about AG dolls. She said that she hadn't really met people her age into that stuff before. My thought. Why don't we do more of this kind of stuff with our American Girl dolls. We don't have to hold meets at American Girl stores, we can do them in our houses like this one was!

Comment your thoughts! We'd love to hear them!







No comments:

Post a Comment